My Top Five Percent

If you and I are going to enjoy healing and rest at our very core, we must discover and discern the top 5 percent of life.

I allude to this crucial principle in my book, The Divine Mentor, but let me briefly summarize it here.

Eight-five percent of what we do, anyone can do: checking e-mail, answering messages, attending meetings, reading the newspaper or trade journals, and making simple decisions. These tasks don’t require an elite expertise or specialized skill. Many of these tasks can be delegated to others so we can concentrate on what’s most important to the job we have been given to do.

Ten percent of what we do, someone with a modicum of training should be able to accomplish. After all, if we were trained to do what we do, someone else of like capability could learn how to run the computer program, solve the problem, lead the meeting, or do the tasks that we do. With appropriate schooling and experience, someone else can perform a surgery, manage an engineering project, or sell real estate. Certain aspects of these activities can be assigned to trained individuals.

But 5 percent of what I do, only I can do! This is the most important 5 percent for me. I can’t delegate these initiatives to anyone else. I can’t hire someone else to take my place in any of these activities because they require that I be there. This 5 percent will determine the validity of the other 95 percent. This is what I had to discover and make as the epicenter of my live.

My 5 percent may differ from yours, but the principle is transferrable to everyone – married, single, widowed, old, or young. It is true for those with children, empty nesters, or young couples just starting out in life.

I had to rethink what was most important to me – what God had asked me to do – and how I would restructure my life  to concentrate on these priorities in my final stretch. I had to think what my last 5 percent would include. What were the things that only I could do, and, if neglected,  would affect the rest of my life? Here are the responsibilities  I wrote down:

  1. A vibrant, growing relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
  2. A healthy and genuine relationship with my spouse.
  3. An authentic family that is close to God and close to one another.
  4. A God-pleasing ministry
  5. A physically healthy body and a creative soul
  6. Taking time to enjoy life with family and friends.

These six items require a daily investment of my time and heart. In fact, the condition of these six areas will, to a large extent, determine the state of my life. If these are compromised, the consequences will be felt in other areas. If this 5 percent fell into disrepair or neglect, my life would grind to a halt until these priorities were once again restored.

This post is an excerpt from Pastor Wayne Cordeiro’s book, Leading on Empty. We’ll post relevant experts here from time to time, and you can find it in the Life Resources collection.  

What is the top 5 percent in your life?

Leave a Reply